The biggest news last week: California’s new sex ed law!
From consent education to accurate representations of LGBTQ families, California has stepped into the role of a leader in state-based comprehensive sexuality education.
You can read the bill itself here: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB329
The bill puts forth the following as it’s aims and goals:
(1) To provide pupils with the knowledge and skills necessary to protect their sexual and reproductive health from HIV and other sexually transmitted infections and from unintended pregnancy.
(2) To provide pupils with the knowledge and skills they need to develop healthy attitudes concerning adolescent growth and development, body image, gender, sexual orientation, relationships, marriage, and family.
(3) To promote understanding of sexuality as a normal part of human development.
(4) To ensure pupils receive integrated, comprehensive, accurate, and unbiased sexual health and HIV prevention instruction and provide educators with clear tools and guidance to accomplish that end.
(5) To provide pupils with the knowledge and skills necessary to have healthy, positive, and safe relationships and behaviors.
This is a revolutionary statement from our governments.
Find out more on RH Reality Check.